Saturday, January 15, 2011

the first big test

today is day 6 without cigarettes.  i still feel sort of shitty and it's starting to irritate me a bit.  i was reading something today about quitting smoking, and it said that i should expect to have strange symptoms for the first few weeks.  that's really great.  it's like exercising - you have to do it for like 3 months before you notice a difference.  i want instant results!

anyway, one really positive thing to report is that i passed my first really big test last night.  every friday i attend a beer tasting, something that i look forward to all week.  it's a chance to escape my family for a few hours, see my friends, and taste some really great beer.  the problem is that drinking makes me crave cigarettes, and there's always plenty of smokers at the tastings to "bum" from.  last night, however, i resisted temptation and did not smoke!

i also must say that my ability to smell and taste has improved dramatically just in the course of one week.  i was getting so many new smells and flavors from the beer last night that i almost didn't know how to process them.  i think it will take a while before my body adjusts and i learn to wield my newfound powers.  until then, i will continue to pamper myself with all the delicious food and beverage i desire - i can tell i'm already gaining weight.

tomorrow makes 1 week without cigarettes and i'm dying to cross that first milestone.  after that, there's only 467 more to go before my lungs look exactly the same as a non-smoker's.  onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment