Friday, January 21, 2011

the race against myself

the twelfth day without cigarettes finds me in good spirits.  my lungs feel like they are finally starting to clear up a bit.  this week i started running again and i'm planning on easing into some resistance workouts next week. 

i live on a lake with a road around it that just happens to be exactly 2 miles in circumference, so often times i use this loop to gauge my distance when i go jogging.  in the past, i've also tried to simply run around the lake once as fast as i could to see how much my fitness level has changed over the years.  one time last year, after not smoking for a few days, i busted my ass and did the loop in 16:04.  not bad, but nowhere near what i could have done before i started smoking.

so yesterday i decided to time myself again, but not to kill it like the last time.  since i quit smoking i haven't exercised very much, wanting to concentrate on the healing process more than anything else.  also, i have gained about 10 pounds between the holidays and the eating i've been doing in the last 12 days.  so, needless to say, i'm not in the best of shape.

anyway, i ran at what seemed like a pretty strenuous pace, but not too fast, and came up with 17:15 at the finish.  at first i was a little disappointed, but after i was able to catch my breath in a mere 30 seconds or so, i felt decidedly healthy and inspired to improve.  my new quest is to "race against myself" once a week and report back with my time on this blog.  i'm hoping to improve each and every time as my lungs heal and my fitness level improves.

wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment